Saturday, March 30, 2013

Periwinkles & Crayon Castles Pre-Easter Blooming At Fort Worth's Oakland Lake Park

A Crayon Castle has been erected in Oakland Lake Park since I last visited this location a week ago. There appeared to be one person trapped inside the Crayon Castle, bouncing up and down, as if trying to escape.

The number of people walking around Fosdick Lake was way above the norm. I suppose this may be caused by this being Easter weekend.

Tomorrow, on Easter, parks like Oakland Lake Park and River Legacy Park, in Arlington, will be seeing a lot of people having Easter BBQ picnics.

I remember last Easter going to Oakland Lake Park and seeing all the picnic tables being used, with some people bringing their own "furniture" to set up a home away from home.

At Oakland Lake Park the Easter picnickers do so with no running water available. Or restroom facilities. Unless one counts an outhouse as being a modern restroom facility. This in one of the Greatest Cities in the World.

Last year by the time I was done with my Easter walk around Fosdick Lake rain began to fall, putting a quick damper on all the Easter effort that multiple families had put into having themselves a fine time.

Today, in the vegetation that surround Fosdick Lake I saw my first non-yellow wildflower of the year. A colorful bluish purple bright wildflower who I think may be known as a Periwinkle.


After I had myself enough wildflower gazing I drove on to Town Talk where I had an interesting conversation with a guy in a Smart Car. That and I got 8 loaves of Ezekiel Bread, Orange Peppers, Rutabagas, Asian Pears and a lot of other good stuff.

So far, none of the predicted rain or lightning strikes has rained on or struck me at my location since this morning's 3 AM bursting flashes of light and big booms.

I suspect the current peace and quiet is only a temporary respite, with fresh booming and downpouring happening at some point in the coming hours.

No comments: