Thursday, March 7, 2013

It Has Been A Decade Since The Dixie Chicks Became One Of George W. Bush's Many Victims



When I lived in Washington I most definitely was not a Country music fan. On the move South I remember crossing the border into Texas, in the Panhandle, and the only stations I could get on the radio were Christian or Country music stations.

By the time I got to Amarillo, that night, I was sort of a Country music fan. I'd not realized much of it had become sort of like early rock 'n roll.

For a year, or two, Country music seemed fresh and fun to me. 99.5, The Wolf, was the station I listened to more than any other. And then there started to seem to be fewer fun and fresh sounding Country music songs. I very rarely hit the 99.5, The Wolf button anymore.

My favorite of all the Country music makers were The Dixie Chicks. They had me with Earl. And then Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition. And others. Like Travelin' Soldier.

When I moved to Texas I was sort of appalled to see in person, that the son of President Bush was the state's governor. When I was in Washington I knew that George W. Bush had replaced the popular, nationwide, Ann Richards. But, not til seeing it in person, did it sink in that this guy was this state's governor.

And then when the talk started up of Bush II running for president, I, in my naivete, thought no way. I was so naive back then, still suffering culture shock, that I opined that how could the Republicans nominate Bush? All the Democrats would need to do to win is show what it's like in Texas and ask do you want Bush to do this to the rest of America?

Like I said, I was naive. Very naive.

And then Bush got elected in the most bizarre election in my memory. I was appalled.

Soon much of America and the rest of the world would be equally appalled.

After the 9/11 shock to America and the World, everyone rallied around the flag and the president. This was only natural.

That rallying began to erode as Bush began to take the steps that led to America's most shameful act of war. The invasion and takeover of Iraq. A pre-emptive war of choice, the rationalization for which was based on lies.

I have opined previously that I agree with prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi's case he made for George W. Bush being prosecuted for his crimes, which Bugliosi excellently explained in THE PROSECUTION OF GEORGE W. BUSH FOR MURDER.

10 years ago this week The Dixie Chicks bravely exercised their free speech right, prior to the invasion of Iraq, when the war drums were being loudly banged, at a concert hall in London, where lead singer, Natalie Maines said, "Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We do not want this war, this violence. And we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."

Reactionaries back in America reacted with a vengeance, pretty much destroying The Dixie Chicks, even though Natalie Maines apologized for her remarks.

I don't think she should have apologized.

Natalie Maines speaking the truth to power was a classic example of someone speaking freely, from their conscience, with those objecting to her opinion being equally free to express their opinion. While being moronically wrong.

The Dixie Chicks Travelin' Soldier song was a call for peace, a song about a young soldier going to Vietnam.

This was to be The Dixie Chicks last #1 hit song.

The Dixie Chicks were just one more victim of their fellow Texan somehow becoming president, a job for which he was no more qualified to hold than I am.

Well. Actually, I think I'd make a much better president than George W. Bush was. Millions of Americans would make a much better president than George W. Bush was....

No comments: