Saturday, December 1, 2012

Today I Shared The Gateway Park Mountain Bike Trail With A Lot Of Zombies

Today I expected to possibly see some Fort Worth Mountain Bike Association members working on Gateway Park's mountain bike trails, because I believe that a trail workday was taking place today.

But, I was not expecting the scene of utter chaos that greeted me today when I arrived  at Gateway Park to pedal my two wheel  mechanical transport device.

Upon arriving at the mountain bike trail parking lot I began to hear very loud rap music blaring from very big speakers, courtesy of a local radio station the call letters of which I do not remember, even though I heard the call letters called out a number of times.

As I was getting my bike out and ready to pedal I heard a blast of noise and saw a group of maybe 50, or more, people take off running in a tight group. I watched as the massed group was directed to enter the mountain bike trail.

This is not going to be a good bike riding day, I thought to myself.

When I got myself to the entry to the mountain bike trail I saw a big sign tacked to a tree that said "ZOMBIES" with an arrow pointing to the trail.

I pedaled along at my usual high rate of speed when I was suddenly startled by the scene you see above. A group of Zombies.

I stopped to ask what was going on. And if I could take a picture.

I was told this was a Zombie Run. That the massed groups of runners tried to get past groups of Zombies without the Zombies getting the runner's flag. If a runner made it to the end of the course with his or her flag still intact, this indicated the runner had won his battle against the Zombies. I have no idea what, if anything, the runner won for winning.

In addition to the Zombies there were hundreds upon hundreds of little red flags stuck in the ground. I assumed these were marking off the course. However, I saw a lot of the little red flags far past where I was seeing any Zombies.

All in all, today was one of the stranger mountain bike rides I've ever been on.

No comments: