Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Snake Free Walk With The Indian Ghosts Who Haunt The Village Creek Natural Historical Area

Village Creek Blue Bayou
Yesterday I think I overdid it with the running around Crystal Canyon looking for shiny objects, because this morning when I got vertical in my slumber chamber, after a long slumber, I found myself to be a bit sore.

I took a dose of ibuprofen and a long swim, both of which I think may have contributed to feeling less sore.

When the time of the day came around for my regularly scheduled salubrious endorphin inducing aerobic stimulation I opted to not be very stimulated, so I drove to the Village Creek Natural Historical Area to walk with the Indian Ghosts who haunt the historical area.

The Village Creek Blue Bayou is slowly being choked with vegetation. Years ago when I first saw this bayou it was more like a big open pond, with little vegetation. I remember roller blading on to the now replaced wooden viewing platform and asking a couple guys what they were looking at.

Water Moccasins, I was told.

It was a group of 5 or 6 reptiles in the water making a minor snake boil. This was very early in my getting adjusted to living with a lot of snakes in the natural world, so seeing all those snakes sort of unsettled me. In the years since I've learned that it is likely these were not Water Moccasins, but instead some other group of water snakes, without a venomous bite.

Miss Puerto Rico returns from her home island today, arriving in the D/FW zone a bit after 8, after a long day of flying, going from San Juan to Washington, D.C. to D/FW.

I think I may have forgotten to check in on Miss Puerto Rico's mentally ill cat, Tasha, yesterday. I probably should go do that right about now.

No comments: