Monday, March 12, 2012

Taking A Spring Break At Fosdic Lake With Comanche Braves, Duck Feeding & New Restroom Facilities

A Fort Worth Park Gets Indoor Plumbing
I was really pleased today to see some solid progress indicating that the City of Fort Worth is taking huge steps towards bringing its parks into the modern era.

Specifically, modern restroom facilities have been built near the Oakland Lake Park picnic pavilion.

What an upgrade!

Can running water be far behind? Imagine the luxury of being able to wash your hands after using the fancy new restrooms. Or being able to use running water to help facilitate a pleasant picnic.

With progress like this it is a wonder to me why so many people don't understand how it is that Fort Worth makes the rest of the world Green with Envy.

Comanche Braves Scouting Fosdic Lake
Yesterday I mentioned that I am enjoying reading S.C. Gwynne's Empire of the Summer Moon, about Quanah Parker and the rise and fall of the Comanches.

I am very impressionable and easily influenced by what I read.

Which may explain why, when I saw the scene in the picture above, I thought I was looking at a pair of Comanche braves on their Mustangs on a scouting expedition in preparation for a raid on Oakland Lake Park.

This marked the first time I have ever seen horses in Oakland Lake Park. From whence did they come? Who has horses corralled in this residential area? Could these Comanche braves be living under the Tandy Bamboo Teepee? Do these two horses account for the rash of horse hoof prints that have appeared all over the Tandy Hills' trails?

Fosduck Feeding Frenzy
Authentic Comanche built their teepee lodges out of Lodgepole pine logs, not bamboo. I suspect the Tandy Bamboo Teepee is not Comanche in origin.

There were dozens of kids on the loose, playing around Fosdic Lake today, in Oakland Lake Park. What is the holiday, I wondered?  March 12? Why are kids out of school?

Eventually I asked and learned it is Spring Break.

A mom and dad and little kid had the Fosducks in a feeding frenzy, today, as you can see in the last picture. I do not think the Fosdic ducks migrate north for the summer. They are too well fed whilst living in Fosdic Lake.

No comments: