Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spencer Jack & His Dad Drove By My Old Snowy Home In Washington Today

Snowy Pawnee Lane In Mount Vernon Washington
Spencer Jack's dad has been driving Spencer all over the Skagit Valley today, checking out the snow.

Including a drive by of where I lived before moving to Texas.

I am not understanding how the Douglas Fir that is to the left of the carport has grown so big. It was nowhere near this tall when I moved.

I actually don't even remember a Douglas Fir tree being in that location. Had you asked me I would have said it was several Alder trees.

A month prior to the move a bad windstorm knocked down several trees, including a pair of Alder by where that tall Douglas Fir stands.

Having your house sit under really tall trees and having a lot of windows makes for an interesting scene when the wind gets blowing hard.

Or when there is an earthquake.

Tall trees sway very strangely in an earthquake.

I can see some remodeling has taken place. A different entry door on the second level. The open carport now has a garage door. The stairs from the second floor have been rebuilt with what looks like a landing halfway down. It looks like the windows have been replaced.

I miss this house. Everything about it worked well. It required no air-conditioning, not that many homes in Western Washington have air-conditioning, but this house was designed to passively stay cool.

I like a house that is designed to passively stay cool, since that matches my own personal design. I always stay passively cool.

I wonder what snow pictures my nephew and Spencer Jack will be sending me tomorrow?

6 comments:

CatsPaw said...

Your snow pictures are making me homesick for another northern tier state.

I hope we get some snow here this winter. I was positively giddy with the multiple snows last winter.

Durango said...

Me too, CatsPaw, with the feeling homesick thing. Your northern tier state is way to the east of mine, with way more wicked winters. The night the infamous Washington snowstorm of 1996 was one of the most astonishing things I've experienced. The snow just kept on coming down, to depths never before seen by my eyes in the lowlands zone of Washington. And then being snowbound. Wonderful. Then needing groceries and cross country skiing to the grocery store. I still have those cross country skis. I should throw them away. During last year's Texas snow I found my skis had delaminated.

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Well, you are all melancholy. Aren't you worried about us Washington folk and the horrid snowstorm coming tonight???

Durango said...

Betty Jo, I am full of mortification worrying about what is happening in my favorite state tonight. I am optimistic the morning news will not be dire. But. I am prepared for bad news.

Snowphobe in TX said...

Remembering the pleasures of snow is like remembering the "good old days". All you remember is the pretty white stuff and you conveniently forget cold feet and runny noses and clean white snow that turns dark and ugly and tracks in mud and remains cold.
Snowperson making snow lasts a matter of minutes but it creates an out-sized impression on our romance genes.
Get a grip, Durango. Imagine having to whine daily in your blog that you are trapped... oh dear...

Durango said...

TX Snowphobe, you've got it pretty much all wrong. If you live in a snow zone you have the proper attire, hence no cold feet or runny nose. The only white snow I've seen turn dark and ugly is Texas snow. Parts of Washington have snow year round. Those parts don't get dark and ugly either. Hike up to Mounts Baker or Rainier next summer and see that for yourself. Being snowbound does not put me in whine mode. I've been snow/ice bound in Texas and have not whined about it on my blog. Being snowbound means you can not drive anywhere. It does not mean you can not leave your abode. I lived in a very hilly location in Washington, so I was able to enjoy being snowbound while going cross country skiing. And the cul-de-sac I lived on was a sledding mecca. With hot cocoa and adult libations. To sum up, the views of snow I've blogged of late of my old location in Washington, did not turn dark and ugly. The snow remained white until it melted and at that point we can talk about a muddy mess. That and broken drain pipes and clogged roof drains.