Monday, January 9, 2012

The 2nd Monday Of 2012 Is Dripping In Texas With Butternut Squash

You can not tell by looking at the photo of the view through the bars of my patio prison cell that the sky is dripping on this second Monday morning of 2012.

The sky began dripping soon after the sun left for the day, Sunday night. The dripping continued its soothing rhythm, all night long. Well, more accurately, every time I woke up I heard rain hitting the window.

At no point did the rain come down at a copious volume of the sort I call a Classic Texas Downpour.

Instead the dripping seemed to be of the slow motion sort that plagues the Puget Sound zone of Western Washington for about 9 months of the year.

Changing the subject from rain to squash.

When I was a kid there were not many food items that I had a distaste for. One of the few was Squash. I did not like anything about it. How it tasted, how it smelled. And its texture.

Years ago, during one of my periods of extreme obesity, I went on the Atkins Diet. One of the recipes on the Atkins Diet had you making spaghetti using Spaghetti Squash for the noodles. I never tried  Spaghetti Squash  whilst on the Atkins Diet due to my Squash aversion.

Well.

Last week I found  Spaghetti Squash  at Town Talk. Bought one, Googled for cooking instructions, cooked it and was amazed how much like spaghetti the stuff that came out of the gourd was. Spaghetti Squash  is not too flavorful, thus a good combo with spaghetti sauce.

On Saturday, at Town Talk I got a Butternut Squash and an Acorn Squash. Yesterday I cooked the Butternut Squash. This one turned out to be similar to the Squash of my younger years that my mom would insist at least a bite of which needed to be consumed.

Well.

I now, in my almost elderly years, have discovered Butternut Squash is real tasty. I must return to Town Talk and get myself a Squash supply.

In the meantime, I am not going swimming.

1 comment:

GG said...

Atkins is the only diet that ever worked for me and my cholesterol numbers always *improve* when I get serious. So I try to limit carbs (net of fiber) and sugar. Unfortunately, this limits cookies and candy and ice cream and pasta and rice and bread so it is difficult. Fortunately, I like salads and meat and eggs and vegetables. If you read food labels you will notice that many "low fat" foods (like cereal and yogurt) are super high in carbs and sugar.