Friday, December 30, 2011

The Shadow Of The Thin Man On The Dark Morning Of New Year's Eve Eve Wondering About Monkeys

That's the shadow of the not going skinny dipping thin man on the next to last morning of 2011.

If this morning is the next to last morning of 2011 that would make this the morning of New Year's Eve eve.

It is 48 degrees, currently, in the outer world at my location.

Yesterday I believe the air in the outer world at my location was being heated to the low 60s. I may test if going for a dip in the pool is doable this morning.

Changing the subject from one primate to another.

Yesterday I was shocked to learn that, up til December 24, Cheetah the Chimpanzee from the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movies was still alive, til he died, at 80 years old on Christmas Eve.

This morning I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that the chimp who died a week ago today was likely not the famous movie star. Though those who reported Cheetah's passing seemed to believe they'd been taking care of the famous movie monkey.

Is a chimpanzee a monkey? After I typed the last word in the above sentence I realized I did not know if the word "monkey" applies to all primate, or if  "monkey" is a specific specie of primate.

I think I will go find something else to wonder about now and forget about monkeys.

1 comment:

CatsPaw said...

I used to be a docent at the zoo and this is something we addressed often.

Monkeys and apes are primates. They share many characteristics (five fingered hands with flattened finger nails and opposing thumbs, forward-facing eyes), but generally speaking, monkeys have tails and apes do not. The chimpanzee is an ape, not a monkey.