Friday, December 23, 2011

A Chilly Walk With The Village Creek Indian Ghosts While Talking To My Mom About Burned Russian Tea Cakes & Gas Along With Incoming Possible Snow

Dreary Village Creek On Christmas Eve Eve
I had myself a very chilly walk with the Indian Ghosts that inhabit the Village Creek Natural Historical Area today.

As you can see, via the view of Village Creek, gray is the dominant color for today in this formerly totally parched part of the planet.

The grayish white snow clouds that are hovering above Village Creek is scheduled to begin delivering precipitation tomorrow, on Christmas Eve.

Some parts of North Texas will likely see snow, while other parts of North Texas, like where I am, will, maybe, see snow mixed with rain.

My primary weather information provider provided me a Special Weather Statement a few minutes ago...

...ACCUMULATING SNOW POSSIBLE ON CHRISTMAS EVE...

The Weather Outside May Get Frighful
But Inside It is Just Delightful
AN UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE ACROSS TEXAS THIS WEEKEND AND WILL BRING WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION. FOR MUCH OF THE AREA...THIS PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS RAIN. AREAS TO THE WEST AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM GAINESVILLE..TO WEATHERFORD...TO LAMPASAS...WILL SEE THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL ON SATURDAY.

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE LESS THAN AN INCH...WITH MOST ACCUMULATIONS OCCURRING ON GRASSY OR ELEVATED SURFACES. TRAVEL IMPACTS WILL LIKELY BE LIMITED TO INTERSTATE 20...MAINLY WEST OF U.S. 287. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE THE FIRST TO BECOME SLICK.

ELSEWHERE...RAIN COULD BECOME MIXED WITH SNOW DURING THE EVENING HOURS ON SATURDAY. HOWEVER...SURFACE TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING...SO ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOT ANTICIPATED.

I don't know why the Weather Statement makers feel the need to shout their statement in CAPITAL letters.

Changing the subject from my favorite one to gas.

On the way to Village Creek I got gas. So, like I always do when I get gas, I called my mom to tell her I got gas and how much it cost. Apparently gas in Phoenix is still over $3 a gallon.

Weather-wise, Phoenix is also being cold, with snow in the high country that surrounds the Valley of the Sun making it so mom and dad are currently limited on where they can drive.

A couple days ago I mentioned getting a box of inedible Christmas cookies in the mail. I lamented not getting Christmas cookies from my mom anymore, due to mom not baking Christmas cookies anymore, due to her bad eyesight due to macular degeneration.

Well.

I was wrong. I don't know why I've not had any of my mom's Christmas cookies shipped to me, in what seems like years. But, mom told me a box of Christmas cookies was heading my way.

I mentioned the inedible Christmas cookies and the faux Russian Tea Cakes that tasted like rotten bananas, that I had to spit out. My mom told me she'd made some Russian Tea Cakes, but did not send me any because they were slightly burned. I told my mom that her slightly burned Christmas cookies would be more edible that the aforementioned box of inedible Christmas cookies.

I don't know why I had myself convinced my mom no longer baked Christmas cookies. The last time I was in Phoenix, at mom and dad's in Sun Lake, I was surprised my mom had made an apple crisp and, despite impaired eyesight, had dished up the apple crisp, with ice cream.

And, I had witnessed, with my own eyes, my mom and dad being a pair of canning machines the last time I was in Tacoma, watching them work for hours making raspberry jam.

In the jam making operation my dad is the eyes while my mom gives directions. I suppose the cookie baking is done in the same way.

So, I guess if you want to get technical about it, it was my dad who burned the Russian Tea Cakes. He likely caught a lot of grief over this.

No comments: