Friday, November 11, 2011

The State Tree Of Texas Is A Heritage Pecan In Fort Worth's Quanah Parker Park

Heritage Pecan Tree in
Quanah Parker Park
I am no Audubon when it comes to knowing the identity of trees. I can tell a Douglas Fir from a Cedar from a Pine tree. But, if a tree is huge and deciduous my tendency is to assume it is a big Oak tree.

For years I've made note of some humongous trees in Quanah Parker Park. Because these trees are HUGE and have leaves that fall off in the Fall, I assumed they where big Oak trees.

I assumed wrong.

Within the past month, or so, many informational type signs have been added alongside the paved trail in Quanah Parker Park.

I read a Quanah Parker Park informational sign yesterday that I'd not read before.

Via that informational sign I learned that the big tree I thought was a HUGE Oak tree was actually a HUGE Pecan tree.

In part the informational sign said...

Shade & Food For Man & Animals
The Pecan tree was declared the state tree of Texas in 1919. This Pecan tree (the one in the picture) was designated a Heritage Tree in April 2009 by the City of Fort Worth Forestry Section. Favored by people for its flavorful nuts, cool summer shade and long life span, it is also good for animals. Many animals eat the nuts, including deer, turkey and Fox Squirrels.

Yesterday when I learned this tree was sprouting pecans I thought back to when I used to roller blade in Quanah Parker Park, with there being times of the year when I'd avoid blading on the trail that goes by that particular big tree, due to all the hard objects littering the pavement, creating a road hazard for blade wheels.

It never crossed my mind that I was avoiding edible nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have 2 of these trees in my back yard, I assume them to be at least 100 ft. tall, app. 5 ft in dia., never seen such large trees, They are loaded with pecans, hope someone can tell me the names of these trees, one bears large paper sheel pecans, the other a smaller variety of nuts.