Sunday, October 23, 2011

Un-Naturally Looking For Sycamore Trees, Facebook & Shovels Today At Village Creek Natural Historical Area

Some Un-Natural Signage On Some Un-Natural Concrete
At some point in time in the previous 12 hours rain soaked the parched parks in this part of the planet. This soaking made the Village Creek Natural Historical Area my area of choice, today, for my daily aerobic stimulation.

There has been a time or two I've thought to myself that it is a bit odd to call this location a "Natural Area."

The Tandy Hills Natural Area might have a thing or two that isn't all that natural, but not to the level of un-natural that exists in the Village Creek Natural Area.

Today, at the point where the paved trail starts at the west end of the Natural Area I noticed a new sign had been laminated on to the concrete. That makes for two un-natural elements, one being the paved concrete trail, the other being the laminated sign, added east of the already installed un-natural brass plaque, dedicated to those who helped bring about the Village Creek Natural Historical Area.

Apparently Arlington's Park Fans Are
Naturally Fun!
The laminated sign informs us that "Our Fans Are Naturally Fun." And asks to be liked on Facebook. Apparently you can get a free app for your phone by aiming your phone at the free app symbol. My phone is not smart so this option was not available to me.

There were a lot of people enjoying the Natural Area today. I even saw a rare sighting of a family picnicking deep inside the Natural Historical Area. We are in that rare sweet spot, temperature-wise, where North Texans will venture outdoors for some park fun.

About a mile from the parking lot I came upon the strange scene you see below. A camouflage jacket, a shovel and a bucket.

What Sort Of Nut Hauls A Bucket & Shovel Into
A Natural Area?
Why would someone haul a shovel and bucket so deep into this Natural Historical Area I wondered to myself? There was nothing in the bucket.

I continued walking. About a half mile later I came upon a guy in camouflage pants that matched the jacket. He also had a matching camouflage hat in the Aussie Outback style, that always looks a bit goofy to me.

I asked the camouflage guy if that was his jacket, bucket and shovel that I came across back a half mile. He indicated it was. I asked what he was digging for. He told me he was hoping to dig up some Sycamore tree roots. I asked why. He said Sycamore trees look cool and he wanted one in his yard. I wished the camouflage guy good luck and then hurried away from him.

Did this guy not realize he was in a park? A Natural Area type park? You don't go digging in a park, let alone a Natural Area that is very Historical.

I have no idea what a Sycamore tree looks like.

No comments: