Thursday, May 5, 2011

Up Early On Cinco De Mayo Thinking About Not Going To Fort Worth's Mayfest

Looking out my primary viewing portal on the world I can see the 5th day of May has dawned with a bright blue sky.

Looking at my computer temperature monitoring device I can see it is a relatively chilly 55 degrees out there, heading to a possible high of 84 today.

May 5 marks the start of Fort Worth's Mayfest. I have never gone to this festival. Mayfest runs through Sunday. There is an admission fee, with it costing $8 for adults.

I have no idea what is so special about Mayfest that warrants an $8 admission fee. There are over 40 arts & crafts booths, 7 music/entertainment stages, food and rides.

I have no idea what the rides are. Carnival? I'm getting my Mayfest info off the Mayfest website.

Mayfest takes place in Trinity Park, on the west bank of the Trinity River. If you want to buy anything other than your admission ticket, Mayfest uses the coupon method, rather than the direct use of American currency.

I never ran into a festival of this sort charging an admission fee until I moved to Texas. The first time was a festival in Grapevine. Was it Grapefest? I don't remember. What I do remember is me and my fellow Washingtonians were appalled at how lame it was and the fact an admission fee was charged for something so lame.

Fort Worth's extremely well done, recently completed, Main Streets Arts Festival, does not charge an admission fee. Neither does the Prairie Fest. The Parker County Peach Festival charges an admission fee. I've gone two or three times and don't mind paying to get into that humongous, one day, festival.

It looks like the primary sponsor of Mayfest is Chesapeake Energy. I'm making that assumption based on Chesapeake Energy being prominently featured on each page of the Mayfest website.

I don't think I'll be going to Mayfest.

Happy Cinco de Mayo. I'm making tacos for lunch.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a promotion going on for MayFest for tickets as low as $3

Gail Galtex said...

I won't be going either. Thanks to Mayfest charging admission and erecting fences around the park weeks in advance, I can't walk my route from downtown through Trinity Park anymore. The trail into the park is completely blocked by the fence. And it always takes weeks to take the fences down afterward.

Anonymous said...

Consistent with its stealthy predatory ways, Cheat-sapeake wants to associate itself with family type events like the Christmas Parade of Lights and now Mayfest. Cruel irony because this corporation is sucking water from the Trinity, razed a grove of shade trees a few miles south of Trinity Park, and poisoning the air and morals that the families and all those children are now forced to live in.

Didn't the Mafia sponsor many religious and community events up north during their heyday? ?