Friday, May 13, 2011

Turtle Today At Fosdic Lake,Wildflower Extravaganza At Tandy Hills Tomorrow

I was startled today during my brisk walk around Fosdic Lake in Oakland Lake Park, when I came upon the big reptile you see in the picture.

If I remember right, I think I've been told that during mating season male turtles hit the road looking for love outside of their usual water homes.

I remember coming upon turtles on the Horseshoe Park mountain bike trails on Lake Grapevine, far from the lake.

Despite their slow reputation, turtles can move rather fast when they want to.

But, I don't understand how leaving the lake, where all the turtles live, is going to find you a turtle girlfriend. Maybe this guy was coming from another watery place and was heading for Fosdic Lake, due to its reputation for having a lot of good-looking turtle girls.

Switching the subject from turtles to another subject.

The Tandy Hills are scheduled to be dry enough for hiking tomorrow. I know this because I got email this morning from Don Young informing me that on Saturday the Wildflower Extravaganza at Tandy Hills is taking place. Master Naturalist, Jim Varnum, will be your guide through the Tandy Wildflowers. Show up at noon at View Street & Lewis Avenue for a nature hike with a naturalist.

No comments: