Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Up Before The Sun In Texas Thinking About An Island Of Debris From Japan

As you can see, looking at my view of the world, I am up well before the sun on this 13th day of April.

It is 58 degrees out there this morning, heading to a predicted high of 82.

No noonday hike is in my future for today. In the noon time frame I will be north of my current location, in the town of Hurst.

A late afternoon hike may be in my future for today.

A Young man identified the yellow/orange wildflower I saw yesterday on the Tandy Hills as Yellow Prairie Flax.

Two Japan Tsunami bits of news struck me as surprising this morning.

One was the body of the man, Douglas Weber, who was swept out into the Pacific by the tsunami from the mouth of the Klamath River in Northern California, was found on April 2 on the south shore of the Columbia River.  I can see how a body might be carried north a couple hundred miles, but how does it float upriver?

The other tsunami news is a massive island of debris is slowly moving east, across the Pacific. The island of debris is made up of houses, trees, cars and human and animal remains. This island is expected to reach the west coast in about 2 years.

I remember when I was a kid we'd go beachcombing on the beaches of the Pacific Ocean. One of the things you might find were glass balls used in Japanese fishing nets. These balls came in all sorts of sizes and colors. Some were bigger than basketballs.

So, in a couple years beachcombing on the Pacific beaches might be a bit disturbing.

No comments: