Sunday, April 10, 2011

Driving On Fort Worth's New Crosswalks With An Electric Motorized Transport Device

After I left Village Creek Natural Historic Area today I headed north on Eastchase Boulevard to the location of my coffee purveyor on the north side of Interstate 30.

Several months ago I was surprised to see work being done to the overpasses over I-30 at Eastchase and at Cooks Lane, about a half mile west.

The sidewalks were being upgraded with wheelchair accessible ramps added.

I remember thinking to myself I'd never seen anyone walk across either the Cooks Lane or Eastchase freeway crossing.

So, I was a bit surprised, today, to be stopped at the light before crossing the freeway overpass, to look up to see a lady on some sort of motorized transport motoring on the new sidewalk crossings.

She'd made it up a rather steep hill from the Lowe's/Wal-Mart/Sam's Club zone. That must be a very powerful electric transport device to be able to haul so much mass up such an incline.

If I remember right, I think I actually heard myself opining that working on these crosswalks seemed like a huge waste of resources, considering how many areas of Fort Worth are in dire need of a sidewalk, in places where people actually walk.

So, color me deeply chagrined, now that I realize this particular lady on wheels would not have been able to safely cross the freeway, had these improvements not been made.

I wonder how far she was traveling on her motorized transport? I wonder if she drives it right in to Wal-Mart. Or does she switch to one of the Wal-Mart electric carts to do her shopping?

3 comments:

Mr Galtex said...

About Ms. So-Much-Mass, wow, just wow.

On a completely different note, thought you might enjoy this.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=459668

Durango said...

Spring Spheres. This is just the type thing that makes me love Seattle.

Anonymous said...

Yup, she drives it right into Wal Mart. I work in the disability community, and I am chagrined to see more and more "disabled" adults in these chairs. Usually, they have really bad knees. That's how it starts. So they're less active, then they gain weight, but they can't have a surgery until they lose weight. But they can't get around, say, to Wal Mart, so they...yup, need a scooter. If they're already disabled due to a mental illness (most likely) then they're on medicaid or medicare. I personally know of a lady with two bad knees who has been waiting almost 3 years for appropriate care for her knees. She has had to change drs. and go to JPS, but she's now told she has to lose weight. She, too, has a scooter. : /