Friday, September 17, 2010

Pedaling Across Arlington's Village Creek Then Seeing More Fort Worth Homeless People Suffering Without Sidewalks

The City of Arlington park crews are very efficient. Last night I learned that, except for the mountain bike trail, you'd hardly know River Legacy Park had been flooded a week ago.

Today I decided to head to Village Creek Natural Historic Area in Arlington to see if the efficient City of Arlington park crews had been equally efficient with that park.

They had.

I was amazed to be able to see how high the flood reached and how much of the park had been under water.

A couple days ago I showed you the view in the picture with some water still flowing over the dam/bridge and with a thick layer of mud covering the paved trail. Today, as you can see, the mud is gone, the dam/bridge is back being a dam/bridge.

A few days before I showed you the mud left by the receding flood, I showed you the actual flood. Had I been standing then, where I was standing today, to take a picture, I would have been in the process of drowning.

For the second time in 2 weeks I have been pedaling along the Pioneer Trail of the Bob Finlay Linear Park, in Interlochen, and someone stops me to ask for directions. This time it was a guy trying to find his way back to Division Street. There are basically 2 ways in and out of Interlochen. I can see how someone might get lost in the maze of streets and canals.

Last night I had an armadillo encounter at River Legacy. Today I had one by Village Creek. Both times I was not fast enough drawing the camera to aim and shoot a picture, before the critter escaped from my view.

What is speeding up the armadillos? My previous experiences with those cute little beasts have had them being very cooperative photo subjects.

On my way back from Village Creek Natural Historic Area I was heading north on Bridgewood Drive, by the Family Dollar store, when I saw a pair of what appeared to be homeless people trudging up the hill, a middle age woman pushing a cart with her possessions. Her equally middle-aged male companion carrying what looked like a knapsack. Or hobo bag.

This presented a duo photo documentary opportunity. A photo showing both Fort Worth homeless people and the lack of a Fort Worth sidewalk.

Now, this is no isolated in the middle of nowhere location. Family Dollar was across the street. Dollar General was ahead of them. And Krogers.

Yes, you in the civilized parts of America reading this, in Fort Worth, Texas there are grocery stores, in heavily populated neighborhoods, with no sidewalks for residents to use to walk to the grocery store.

Over the years walkers have worn a dirt path leading to Krogers. And another one on the other side of the sidewalk-less street. The pair of homeless people were not using the dirt path, I assume because it was easier to roll the cart on the street.

Now, I don't know what happened to me, but as soon as I had an impulse to pull into the Family Dollar parking lot to snap a picture of the homeless/sidewalkless pair, I had some sort of pang of conscience, thinking that would not be right to do, even though the photo would be from behind them, no faces shown.

I don't know what caused this sudden failing of my usual instincts. Maybe my brain is being over oxygenated by too much bike riding.

Does anyone know how many homeless people there are out on the mean streets of Fort Worth?

No comments: