Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cold Front Drops Texas Temperature With Snow On The Prairie

You are looking at Snow On The Prairie in the picture. That is the name of the white flower.

Today so many of the white flowers were blooming on the Tandy Hills that it was real easy to see how it got its name.

A cold front arrived overnight, dropping the temperature to 60 this morning, with the pool not much warmer than that. Which had me wondering how it is I managed to get in that water in the middle of winter?

In just a couple months we will be at the time of the year when there can be real snow on the prairie. Last winter at one point there was almost a foot of real snow on the prairie.

This morning I took a virtual trip down to Alpine. Alpine is out in far West Texas, near Big Bend National Park. Alpine is a popular tourist town. The original Reata Restaurant is there.

When I was a kid my brother and I were avid agate hunters. That seems like a long time ago. I wonder if my brother remembers being an avid agate hunter? I think my brother and I would have really liked visiting Woodward Ranch, by Alpine. This ranch is famed for its agates and other gemstones.

I don't think I've spoken to my brother since April of 2006, at my nephew's wedding reception. He was way over weight at that point in time. Since then he has moved to Maricopa, south of Phoenix, and has lost the weight, according to reliable sources.

Phoenix is in the Valley of the Sun. I do not know if Maricopa is in the Valley of the Sun. I do know that that yellow flower in the picture is a Sunflower, or at least a good imitator of a Sunflower. This particular Sunflower was blooming solo today, surrounded by Snow On The Prairie.

No comments: