Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Up Early Looking For The Aurora Borealis To Light Up The Texas Sky

I got up early this morning, around 4, expecting to step outside to view the Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights.

The Sun chose to do some major erupting on the day named after it, aiming two mass ejections of solar material directly at the Earth.

I have seen the Aurora Borealis one time previous. I got a call from a pseudo-religious friend of mine. She told me she thought God was up to something big, telling me to look outside to see if I saw the same thing. She thought maybe God was just putting on a show for her.

So, I stepped outside and was instantly amazed at what I saw happening in the sky to the north. A major multi-colored light show the likes of which I'd not previously seen.

I had no clue what it was. I'd not heard of the Northern Lights ever being visible from my location. And, unlike Sunday's Sun eruptions, there had been no forecast of incoming solar material and its resultant neon light show.

Back to Earth. Yesterday I took an interesting virtual trip to Luckenbach, Texas. I'd been in the Luckenbach zone before, to Fredericksburg and Enchanted Rock, but I'd not been to Luckenbach.

I do not know if I am going to go anywhere virtually today. I am fairly certain I am going to Hurst. And I am going swimming, likely before that Aurora Borealis causing Sun lights up the place.

4 comments:

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Neat-e-o morning shot.

Durango said...

Betty Jo, did you get up early enough to see the Northern Lights this morning? I would think the view would have been good from Woolley.

Betty Jo Bouvier said...

Durango, no I didn't because you never told me to get up. I only do as I am told.

Durango said...

Betty Jo, it was all over the news, the explosions on the sun sending a mass of stuff directly at Earth. In the future I shall be sure to let you know when the sun gets eruptive and puts on lightshows for your viewing pleasure.