Monday, August 9, 2010

HOT Tandy Hill Hiking Today While Drinking Heavily

It is 97.9 out there, right now, with 35% humidity making for a HEAT INDEX of 103. I was slightly cooler when I hiked the Tandy Hills today around noon.

That's the new highway through Tandy Hill's Emerald Forest, looking north, in the picture.

I am now up to 6 bottles of water on my Hot Hill Hiking Excursions. Each bottle holds 16.9 ounces. That seems like a lot of water.

I wish we'd get to the dry desert type HEAT, with no humidity. If you're in Death Valley at 120, you drink constantly, do not sweat, do not need restroom stops. Now that is pleasant heat.

I know we never get to zero Death Valley-like no humidity here, but the air can get drier. I'm sure I remember correctly that the heat did not feel as HOT as this summer's HEAT feels.

Change of the HOT subject to something cool. The other day my Phoenix sister mentioned jello having become one of her help with the heat enjoyments. I'd not had jello in years. I've never really cared for it. Or the odd things people do with jello, or stick in jello.

So, after my sister mentioned jello to me I opened a cupboard and what do I see? Four boxes of jello. two Mandarin orange, one white grape, one lime. I made a Mandarin orange/lime batch of jello. For awhile I thought I'd screwed up what seemed to be a very simple thing to make, because when I'd move the container, containing the jello, it seemed to still be liquid. By the next day I figured out that what I thought was liquid was jello jiggling.

It turns out my sister was right. Jello is a nice refreshing heat antidote. Particularly topped with vanilla yogurt.

I'm heading out in the HEAT again. Armed with more bottles of water. And a HOT attitude.

1 comment:

Steve A said...

It's cooler riding the bike as long as you don't work too hard at it because of the "wind chill." The paths along the Trinity with shade would seem to be particularly nice.