Sunday, August 8, 2010

Checking On The Huffines Bulldozers At Arlington's River Legacy Park While Walking With The Queen Of Wink

I went swimming early this morning in what feels like my outdoor bathtub. By 11 I was in the mood to be bi-pedal, so I took off to the Village Creek Natural Historic Area.

When I got to VCNHA I saw the gate closed. Village Creek had gone into flood mode, apparently. Was it from that short storm on Friday? Or was there another storm last night? I wondered, this morning, if I slept through a storm, because I had to navigate puddles of water on my way to the pool.

With Village Creek not available I headed to Arlington's River Legacy Park. I'd not been there since a couple months ago when I hiked the mountain bike trail. Today I decided to walk east, crossing the Trinity River and going under Collins Road to see the current state of the Huffines Development.

To my great shock, with no public hearings on the matter, a huge swath of what had been fairly wild land bordering the paved River Legacy Trail had been assaulted by Huffines bulldozers. Bulldozing to make islands, lakes and plots of land for buildings. What had been scenic was turned ugly. What should have been a park, was ruined.

Well. All bulldozing on the Huffines project has ceased. The project appears to have been long abandoned. A long time ago now, I blogged about how the Huffines project had blocked off the last mile of the River Legacy trail, due to the building of a pipeline. Well the "Trail Closed Between Mile 6 & 7" sign is now down.

Mother Nature has covered up the Huffines scars. The only ugliness that remains is the chain link fence that was put up before the bulldozing began.

As I walked away from the Huffines debacle my phone rang. I can not see who is calling when I'm out in the bright sun. So, I answer with "I'm in the bright sun and can not see who is calling. Please identify yourself." I heard laughing and recognized the Queen of Wink's royal giggle.

The Queen talked to me the 3 miles back to my vehicle. Where I sat on a picnic table and continued the royal conversation. I must say I have not laughed so much since I don't know when.

The Queen of Wink's tale of her recent Vegas Adventure with the Girls, was, well, funny stuff.

If the Queen of Wink is reading this, I did not hang up, my phone made its annoying bloop bloop noise and disconnected. I figured I'd done enough laughing and it was time to head to my next destination.

6 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

All is well :-) But a battery that could sustain a royal conversation would be nice.

Durango said...

CT2---It was not the battery this time. It still showed a full charge. Sometimes this bloop bloop noise happens and it disconnects. I was in need of finding water anyway cuz you had me laughing too hard on an already parched throat.

I think you should write a book. Or a blog. About your adventures and misadventures.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

What ever do you mean? I did blog about my adventure in Vegas...;-)

Durango said...

CT2---I'm sorry, I was unclear. Yes, you told the abridged version of your Vegas Adventure, quite well, on your blog. I was suggesting a more detailed description of the graphic details. The blog version does not illicit the laughter factor that the more detailed version illicits.

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Well, darlin' that would be a bit too revealing, n'es pas?

Durango said...

CT2---I dunno what I was thinking. I plead heat-related critical thinking breakdown.