Friday, July 16, 2010

The Stars Shine Bright This Friday Deep In The Heart Of Texas

The really early view from my patio this Friday morning of July 16 shows a starry starry night.

But not in this picture. In the full size version stars could be seen. Including one very big one that I assume was not a star, but was a planet. Most likely Venus. I think Venus is known as the Morning Star.

I don't often see stars twinkling brightly in this somewhat polluted, both by light and toxins, zone of Texas I currently inhabit.

The fact that the stars are twinkling brightly this morning would seem to be a good indicator that our air here is temporarily cleaner than the norm.

The best night sky I have ever been under was on Lake Powell. I'd never seen the Milky Way look so milky or the moon glow so brightly white. When the moon set behind the canyon walls a spectacular purple glow lit up the canyon edge. And then the glow was gone followed by a much darker sky absent the moonlight, with the stars twinkling way brighter.

I have been told, a time or two, that the Fort Davis zone, where the McDonald's Observatory is located nearby, and which is one of the highest, if not the highest, elevation above sea level-wise, towns in Texas, that the air is very clear, with the stars very bright.

I really think I should see the Fort Davis zone with my own eyes and see those bright stars.

But, not today.

No comments: