Monday, July 5, 2010

The Quiet Blue Sky Dawn Of The Day After The 4th Of July In Texas

You can see from the view from my patio that the day after the 4th of July has dawned almost free of clouds. Rain was in the forecast yesterday, but nary a drop fell on my locale. The wet stuff is also in the forecast for today. I suspect today nary a drop will fall, as well.

I heard not a single firecracker crack in Texas during the 4th of July period. Not one boom.

Last night, over at Miss Puerto Rico's, I did watch a fireworks display. In the distance. About 20 miles north over Lake Grapevine. That was way too distant to hear any booming.

I read this morning, in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, that some Washingtonians were not happy about the non-stop explosions in the days before, during and after the 4th of July. Washington was not part of the Union when the 4th of July became the date of American Independence.

Nor was Texas.

Once Washington joined the Union it has remained, steadfastly, an American state.

Texas, however, joined the American Union and then a short time later left the Union in a act of outrageous rebellion. The American Union then gave Texas a severe spanking and forced Texas back in the American Union.

I'm sure none of this history has anything to do with why the 4th of July is so quiet in Texas. But there must be some explanation somewhere.

I think I am going to test the dryness of the Tandy Hills today. I am in dire need of aerobic stimulation and its resultant endorphins.

3 comments:

Don Young said...

I hiked THNA yesterday at 6 pm. No mud on my boots when I got home.

Anonymous said...

Very odd that you didn't hear any fireworks. I grew up south of Burleson and people set off fireworks around our house on both the Fourth and New Year's. There were many fireworks around my relatives' house in Lake Worth last night, and I even heard firecrackers in my neighborhood in Alamo Heights. From my front porch I can see the fireworks at the Botanic Gardens all summer long. There are plenty of places to watch fireworks around Fort Worth, if you're so inclined.

Durango said...

I just got back from THNA, totally mud-free, just as DY indicated I would be.

As for me not hearing any booms, this is not the first 4th in Texas where that has been the case. Yes, I know I could go to one of the fireworks displays. But, I was talking about the random firing of firecrackers. I recollect my first 4th in Texas when I lived in Haslet at the north end of Fort Worth, there I did see and hear my neighbors making noise.