Friday, July 9, 2010

In Texas With A Hippie & Wee In Singapore

I went to school with the hippie in the picture, Tommy N.

Back then Tommy was a really skinny kid, a self-described socially misfitted geek, before geekiness turned cool.

I'd not heard anything about Tommy in years.

Til, this past week, when I heard from long lost Tommy N. and long lost Wee Cheng in Singapore.

I'm not much of a fan of Facebook, but I have sort of enjoyed some of these re-contacts caused by Facebook. Because it's interesting.

Wee now has 2 boys. Yesterday they helped Wee make sushi.

Wee asked me if I have any plans to visit Asia soon. And then asked me when it was she first invited me to Singapore. I told Wee it was way back late in the previous century.

Wee is a yoga instructor now. And has designed a line of yoga bags that she sells on the Internet.

As for Tommy N.

Well, those of you who remember him from our school years will likely be surprised to learn Tommy did a long stint in the navy, serving 6 month tours on the Kitty Hawk and Carl Vinson aircraft carriers. Plus submarine duty.

Tommy started being an electronics whiz way back in grade school. He continued to amp up his whizness after he got out of school. By the time he got out of the navy he had the electronics skills to work in Las Vegas and Reno as a slot machine fix-it guy.

At some point in time Tommy reproduced. A boy named Adam. And then Adam reproduced, thus turning Tommy N. into a grandpa.

I know no details regarding Tommy N.'s apparent hippie era. Except for the fact that it had to have taken place well after the hippie era heyday in the late 1960s.

No comments: