Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fort Worth's First Of July Fosdic Lake Ghost & Birds With Possible Hurricane Oil Spill Nightmare Scenarios

A volume of rain has fallen on these parts since Monday, which was the last day I was able to go hill hiking on the Tandy Hills.

Good thing with this HOT time of the year, the hills dry out way faster than when they get drenched in winter.

I'd gone to Oakland Lake Park to walk around Fosdic Lake on Sunday, forgot my camera, so I took no pictures of the water deprived little lake and its newly formed beaches.

Well, the downpours of late have covered the Fosdic Beaches and water is flowing over Fosdic Falls. It's not a deluge of water, flowing after heavy rain, like you might see cascading over Washington's Snoqualmie Falls, but it's still water falling over a precipice, so, technically a waterfall, though manmade.

As I walked across Fosdic Dam, heading west towards the crossing over Fosdic Falls, I saw a big tree snapped apart. Struck by lightning? Blown by wind? I don't know. Flying in front of the murdered tree was a white ghost, named, by me, the Fosdic Ghost.

Soon after crossing Fosdic Dam I saw what I assumed was a grandma with her granddaughter in a stroller. The grandma was throwing bread into the lake. I assumed to feed birds, of which I saw none eating any bread.

I'd earlier, while walking, made note of the fact that I'd seen few birds. But, the grandma kept throwing bread in the water.

I sat on the picnic shelter overlook and watched. For 5 minutes, maybe more, grandma kept throwing bread in the water.

I started to think she was feeding Fosdic Lake's mutant fish.

And then a duck came into view. And then another. Soon a big flock of birds of different feathers surround edgrandma and the granddaughter, who was now joining in with the bird feeding.

Some of the birds were geese. Geese can be aggressive. I was a little concerned that the little girl might have a too close encounter with a goose beak. I have had one of those, and it hurts.

But, that did not happen, not while I watched. Instead the bird feeding frenzy grew more frenzied.

The sky has brightened, slightly, this afternoon, small patches of blue are peaking through in a few spots. It has been several hours since anything wet has hit my windows.

I have not heard if we are expected to get any moisture from the remains of Hurricane Alex. I remember Hurricane Ike, I think that was his name, gave us quite a drenching here. I think that was in September of 2009. I could be off a year. I know the South Padre Island beaches took quite a hit and are closed for their busiest time of the year, that being the 4th of July.

I think we are in for an interesting summer. I saw a supposed expert on Fox News (always suspect) who said if a hurricane crossed the path of the Gulf of Mexico BP oil spill that because a hurricane reaches into the sea up to 300 feet to suck water up into its wall of storming, the Fox expert said this meant oil would be sucked into the hurricane and when it made landfall big gobs of oil would be falling all over the place.

I'll believe that when I see it. And I hope I don't.

No comments: