Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Day Before The 4th Of July Is Another Damp One In Texas With Me Thinking About Indian Reservations & Hitler

You are looking at the slightly past dawn, optical illusion, day before the 4th of July, view from my patio.

In reality, the sky is not blue. It is gray. Very gray. We had another heavy rainstorm after the rainstorm I blogged about yesterday, which was an even BIGGER DOWNPOUR.

It was a bit of a challenge to make my way to the pool this morning, what with mud and water creating obstacles.

It is now half past 9. The Arlington 4th of July Parade, I believe it to be the biggest in Texas, has been underway for a half hour.

Without me watching it.

The last time I watched the Arlington 4th of July Parade the temperature was close to 100, making it a bit miserable. If I was in Arlington, right now, watching the parade, the temperature would not make me miserable.

Because it is only 75. July 3 and I have my windows open. Again.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing this Saturday day before the 4th of July. I know I won't be driving out to one of the Indian Reservations to buy me some fireworks. I think there are only 2 Indian Reservations in Texas. And neither is near Dallas/Fort Worth.

Texas exterminated a lot of its Indian population, with those not killed moved to concentration camps, I mean, reservations, in Oklahoma.

I was watching a History Channel program last night about a book Adolf Hitler wrote after Mein Kampf. In the post Mein Kampf book Hitler went on about how he admired how America dealt with its Indian population and America's need to expand its territory into Indian Lands with what Hitler characterized as America's state sanctioned Indian extermination policy. Hitler did not have much of a faculty for accurately understanding history, or interpreting the lesson to be learned.

But, it is a bit troubling to wonder if the fate of the Poles, Slavs, Jews and others would have been different had America not provided that German madman with a twisted, perverse inspiration.

No comments: