Wednesday, June 30, 2010

In Texas Thinking About Going To Church & Sunday's 4th Of July Parades

It is the last day of June, Wednesday. In the picture you are sitting with me out on my bedroom balcony, looking at the slightly inclement sky.

I did not get rained on when I went swimming this morning. I like swimming in the rain, but I learned a couple days ago that I do not like swimming in a raging downpour.

It being the last day of June would make tomorrow the 1st day of July. Math is not my forte, but I am fairly certain with tomorrow, that being Thursday, being the 1st of July, that this would mean that Sunday is the 4th of July.

As far as I know I have no special plans to celebrate the 4th of July. I have no memory of what I did on that particular date last year.

Over the years of my Texas exile I have been to two Texas 4th of July Parades. Texas towns put on good parades. The first Texas 4th of July Parade that I got to witness was Arlington's. I believe this one is the biggest in the big state of Texas. It is quite a spectacle. I should muster the effort to go watch it on Sunday. Since Sunday is the 4th and we are big churchgoers here in the Buckle of the Bible Belt, I wonder if Arlington's parade is on Saturday?

Okay, I just looked it up. Arlington's 4th of July Parade is on Saturday, starting at 9am. The parade begins at West and Mitchell Streets, then turns north on to Pecan Street. Then west on UTA Boulevard, turning north on West Street, then north on to Abram Street, then south on Center Street, back west on Mitchell Street to Pecan Street, again, and then ends near Doug Russell Road.

The other Texas 4th of July Parade I've watched is the Granbury 4th of July Parade, which is also on Saturday, starting at 10am. The Granbury Chamber of Commerce website has info about Granbury's 4th of July events. I found the Granbury 4th of July Parade to be a lot of fun and very, very well done.

Interesting. A couple days ago I blogged about the Sedro Woolley Loggerodeo in my old home state of Washington. Loggerodeo has a big 4th of July parade. Washington is not in the Bible Belt. So, I was curious if the Loggerodeo Grand Parade is taking place on the 4th. Well, it is. The Grand Parade starts at 11am. Sunday, the 4th of July. I think 11am is before some church services end on Sunday, but it has been many years since I've been in a church, I may be remembering wrong.

No comments: