Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Blue Sky Returns To Texas While I Take An Indian Village Walk

As you can see, we have finally had a return to the regular Texas nice blue sky. If the forecast turns out to be correct, this respite from a wet, gray sky, will be short lived.

I was listening to the radio on my way to Village Creek Natural Historic Area and heard Ryan Seacrest say that that gopher, or whatever creature it is, came out of its hiding place and then promptly ran back in, thus indicating winter will be staying for another 6 weeks.

On Sunday, I'm sure you remember, I had to get outside, after being icebound for too long. That was only 2 days ago. On that day the Village Creek Park was closed due to flooding over the pedestrian dam/bridge.

Today I saw that it did not appear the other bridge had gone under water. The Arlington parks people have been doing a lot of creek and dam improvement, so the water was able to flow through, I guess, without flooding over.

In the first picture I'm standing on fresh sod that has been installed to restore the area damaged when heavy equipment accessed the creek. Just yesterday I was at another park, that being Gateway Park in Fort Worth, and found the damaged Trinity River levee has not been restored to its former glory.

In the first picture, in addition to the new sod, if you look across the dam/bridge, you will see a young lady and her 4 month old puppy walking towards me.

The young lady and I chatted for a bit. I learned that Village Creek does flow from Lake Arlington and that it was the release of reservoir water that had the creek running high, days after heavy rain. I pondered that possibility in a previous blogging.

The subject of bobcats came up. I mentioned a couple of my bobcat encounters and then asked the young lady, I forgot to mention, her name is Ann, anyway, I asked if she'd ever run into a lady I call the MuMu Lady, who long ago told me of her Village Creek cougar encounter. Ann had spoken to the MuMu lady and had heard about the cougar. She also knew the MuMu Lady's name, which I've already forgotten.

The blue sky and my currently open computer room window has me in a rare good mood. It probably won't last long. But today is just peachy, starting off well with that thing I do almost every morning that is real wet and a bit cold.

No comments: