Monday, January 11, 2010

Prickly Pear Cactus Stir Fry From The Warm Tandy Hills In Fort Worth

Today was the 6th day in a row I've gone aerobic on the Tandy Hills, thus ending my weight gaining period of excessive sloth.

It was in the 50s. 50s! When I went hiking today. No coat, no long underwear, or short underwear, for that matter, no gloves, no stocking cap.

It is like a beautiful early spring day out there.

Tomorrow morning I'm returning to my getting in the pool routine.

Happy days are here again.

I was making stir fry for lunch so I risked the wrath of the hyper-sensitive Fort Worth Parks Department by taking a Prickly Pear Cactus Ear to add to my stir fry. I have now had lunch and I must say this was the best stir fry I've made in awhile.

I was being just a bit depressed, physically, during this long long deep freeze we've been subjected to, here in usually pleasant North Texas. Six days out there is no predicted return to that unpleasant freezing business.

Interesting thing at the Tandy Hills today. Ice remained. Even though the temperatures have gotten well above freezing for a couple days now. I hiked on the west side of the main Tandy trail today, looking once more for the illusive Witchey Tree and Death Van, which I'm beginning to believe was a fabrication of a very fertile Halloween imagination.

That is ice still freezing at the bottom of Tandy Canyon, today, that you see in the picture on the right. It did feel a bit colder in Tandy Canyon than it did when I was out where the sun was able to shine. But still having solid ice seemed a bit extreme.

I am thinking of making an emergency trip to Oahu. I've had reports that one of my all time favorite people needs someone to cook for her and make her eat. I think she needs a Houseboy at her command for awhile. I'm a really good Houseboy. I've got references.

2 comments:

Jovan Gonzales said...

I didn't take all the thorns off a piece of prickly pear once and it got stuck in my throat for about 3 days. I haven't eaten prickly pear since.

Durango said...

Jovo-----
You silly boy. You peel off all the thorns before you slice the prickly pear to stir fry.