Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dredging & Constructing In Arlington's Village Creek Natural Historic Area

I had not been to Village Creek Natural Historic Area in quite some time.

So, I went there today. With the temperature in the 60s it's very pleasant outside this 3rd Sunday of the New Year. Right now my computer room window is open.

I was quite surprised today when I came to the dam bridge that crosses Village Creek.

Extensive work is being done. A big rock wall has been built to stop the erosion that had been eating away at the river banks and would have soon reached the paved trail.

A sort of diversion channel has been built on the east side of the creek with water being channeled through it. But water still flows through the other tubes that run under the bridge/dam. I couldn't figure out what the purpose of this project was, except for the erosion control.

Maybe this will all help the water flow better and stop the problem that happens when the creek starts running a lot of water and floods over the bridge/dam, leaving a big mess.

It was nice to see a constructive mess today, unlike the destructive mess I saw yesterday on the Trinity River levee, courtesy of Express Energy Services and their thuggish way of operating.

If you look closely at the picture you will see an outhouse up by the heavy equipment. But, this did not qualify for my Outhouses of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex series, due to it being temporary and construction related.

No comments: