Friday, October 2, 2009

Talking To Mom From Village Creek About Moab, Moki Dugway & Tuba City McDonald's

When I got up this morning I was not happy to find myself with an aching back. What I did to cause this, I do not know.

By late morning it was worse. I did some yoga stretches, took some ibuprofen and headed to Village Creek Natural Historic Area.

I didn't call my mom the last time I got gas, so I called today while I was walking. My mom asked me if I got a phone photo from them. I had not. They'd been up to Moab and sent me a picture from Arches National Park.

Sounded like mom likes Arches. Then she told me they drove on a steep road with lots of twists and turns that ended up in Mexican Hat. You went down the Moki Dugway, I asked? Is that what it was called, mom asked?

I told mom the next time they go to Mexican Hat stay at the San Juan Inn. They had trouble finding a room in Moab. This is the busy time of year in that zone. Lots of mountain bikers and jeepers.

I think they drove right by Monument Valley because mom was a bit vague about that when I asked if they drove in there. Somehow they ended up in Tuba City for the night, again having trouble finding a room. I told mom that Tuba City has one of the coolest McDonald's I've seen, Navajo themed. And when I was there a Navajo elder woman was holding court. Mom said they had breakfast in that McDonald's, but she remembered nothing special about it.

This is an Indian themed blogging, I guess, so back to Village Creek, site of one of the biggest Indian villages in America, til run out of town by the Texans.

I wanted to take a picture of a plaque by Village Creek that's dedicated to Bob Findlay, he being the developer behind Interlochen. Interlochen is an award winning development that turned an old gravel pit into this very cool residential area with canals. In a couple months Interlochen will get very busy due to being the location of the D/FW area's most outlandish Christmas displays.

When I found the plaque it was impossible to read due to a huge purple plant overshadowing it. I climbed over a fence to see what a new sign said and was surprised to learn I was no longer in Village Creek Natural Historic Area, but was instead in Bob Findlay Linear Park. All this time I did not know where I was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah man. Arlington's Interlochen neighborhood is the envy of the DFW area with it's fake canals which look like drainage ditches and probably smell like a sewer during the hot Texas summers.

-Fred from Funkytown