Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Walking & Fishing At Village Creek Natural Historic Area

Village Creek Natural Historic Area is more historic than it is natural. It is the location where one of America's biggest Indian villages existed, prior to Texans moving into the neighborhood.

Indian Village was an agricultural, trading center where various tribes converged to exchange goods. These tribes were rather peaceful. Til invaders starting causing trouble for them.

As you can see, we are still green here in north Texas. This grass is not irrigated. I don't know why it is still green. Other summers, by this time of the year, nearing fall, all would be brown. But, despite the ongoing drought there is still a lot of green out there.

I saw something at Village Creek today that was both cute, yet a little disturbing. A stroller, with baby inside, was parked on the north dam bridge. Two kids sat on the dam bridge, dangling their feet over the edge, while their mom, I assume it was their mom, held a fishing pole out over the water.

It was at this precise location I saw my one and only Garfish. And my one and only Water Moccasin. Both at the same time. The Garfish was on the side of the dam bridge where the mom was fishing, the Water Moccasin was on the other side. What if mom hooked a Garfish? The water is so murky you can not see what lurks beneath the surface.

I watched The Grapes of Wrath last night. I wondered if in these troubled times mom was trolling for fish to feed her 3 kids? The kids did not seem hungry like those poor kids in The Grapes of Wrath. And they seemed to be having a real good time fishing with mom. There are no do not eat the fish warning signs that I've seen along Village Creek. I can not imagine it being a good idea to eat anything caught there, though.