Monday, August 24, 2009

A Taste Of Sedro Woolley Post Tandy Hills

Before I forget, Spencer Jack's grandma sent me a link to a video of Spencer Jack driving to Costco while singing the Beach Boy's Barbara Ann. What a cute kid, but he's too young to be driving. And he was not wearing a seatbelt.

I've been up since around 4 this morning. I was in the pool around 5. It was very dark. This made for minimalist swimming attire, which is my preferred mode.

Around noon, after way too many hours spent on the inner workings of the Internet, I took off for the Tandy Hills Natural Sanatorium Sauna Area to get in some HOT HUMID hiking. In the picture we are looking north. The white building is a bit north of Town Talk, which is where I went when done hiking.

As I slowly drove away, with my seatbelt on, one of the Fort Worth Gestapo was driving rapidly south on dead end Ben Street, barely stopping at the intersection with View Street, where I was stopped.

I found some odd stuff at Town Talk today. Jars of soy butter. For 50 cents. I got some more Cascadian Farm Organic Spinach. It seems an odd thing to find in a Fort Worth surplus store.

On the spinach package I read, "Back in 1972, we started growing fine organic fruits and vegetables on a small farm in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains in Washington State."

The box also invites the spinach eater to stop by Cascadian Farm in Rockport, WA. Or visit their website, www.cascadianfarm.com. I have driven by there many a time. But I've never stopped. Also on the spinach box it says "distributed by Small Planet Food, Inc., Sedro Woolley, WA."

It is a Small Planet. I lived in Sedro Woolley for a short time. It's about 5 miles east of where I grew up, in Burlington, and about 5 miles northeast of Mount Vernon, where I lived before moving to Texas. Yes, I lived in a Metroplex in Washington, cluster of towns on a much, much smaller scale than the D/FW Metroplex. But with a lot more fruits and vegetables, so much so that spinach gets sent to Fort Worth all the way from Sedro Woolley.

I just remembered, I heard from someone in Sedro Woolley this very morning. And the morning before that, now that I'm thinking about it.

6 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Spencer Jack is adorable and what a lovely singing voice. :)

Durango said...

Spencer Jack is a rockstar boy. I am one proud uncle.

Steve A said...

For you Texas types, Sedro Woolley is about 30 miles west of Concrete. Concrete was the setting for the movie, "This Boy's Life." It was Leonardo DiCaprio's breakthrough film.

Some say Durango looks a little like Leonardo except for the hair...

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

I'd say Durango sure is handsome and movie like.

Anonymous said...

Sedro-Woolley now has a hyphen. Are you boycotting the hyphen or getting forgetful in your middle-age?

I wonder when the hyphen in Sedro-Woolley came about?

Durango said...

Anonymous---I have never been a supporter of the Sedro Woolley hyphen. I never thought the two towns should have merged as one. There should still be a Sedro and a Woolley.