Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Flower Blooms In Washington, In Texas, Not So Much

That is a Brugmansia busy blooming in the picture. It grows in the home garden of Miss C in the town of Sedro Woolley in Washington. It's a big white flower that grows on a bush that will eventually get as tall as 12 feet. Make note of the big man hand on the left of the Brugmansia to get an idea of how big that flower is.

I've long made note of the summer fact that way fewer flowers bloom here in Texas than I would be seeing up in Washington right now. I don't think this can be explained by the hotter temperatures in Texas, because the town in Washington where you would likely see the most flowers is in Eastern Washington, in Leavenworth. Eastern Washington rivals and often exceeds HOT Texas, temperature-wise, in summer.

Just a couple days ago Tootsie Tonasket was baking at 117 in her town near the Canadian border.

In Washington most towns hang big flower baskets in their downtown zones. And big flower pots on the sidewalks. I've seen an isolated flower pot or two in Texas. And some flowers planted in the ground. I've seen few flowers hanging in pots here. Maybe it's a watering issue. I can see where that would be a bit more difficult here.

But. I am still seeing plenty of wildflowers blooming on the Tandy Hills. So, it's obvious some flowers can handle the water situation here. Texas does get a burst of color from all the wildflowers every year. Those are nice to see.

Those are not yellow Texas wildflowers in the picture. Those are also flowers from Miss C's home garden in Sedro Woolley. I believe they are sunflowers.

I wonder what a Texan thinks, if they are visiting towns in Washington and they see all those flowers. Do they wonder why their Texas town doesn't color itself up in summer? Or do they think that all those flowers must be expensive, I'm glad my town doesn't waste money on such a thing?

It's perplexing.

2 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

Does the Brugmansia smell like a Magnolia?

I used to hang flowers in baskets in front of the house, but it became a problem for me, not because of lack of water or heat, but because of the wind. I was always having to run out and take the flowers down.

Durango said...

I don't know what a Brugmansia smells like. I'll ask Miss C.