Sunday, July 5, 2009

I Am All A Twitter In Texas

Yesterday Twister put Twitter on my mind. I'd been intending to check out Twitter after it seemed to be playing such a role in the recent Iranian upheaval.

Well, it is easy to set up a Twitter account. It is not quite so easy to figure out why in the world this Twitter thing is so popular.

Twitter marks the 3rd time I've been baffled by the popularity of one of these social networking devices. The first one was MySpace. When I first saw MySpace I was appalled at what a junked up mess most of it was. MySpace lets its users customize their MySpace space, thus allowing people with absolutely no sense to make ridiculous noisy messes.

And then there was Facebook. Facebook is like Twitter. It is always asking you what is on your mind. Which seems so absurd, due to the fact that if you are reading "what is on your mind?" then that is what is currently on your mind. Facebook has this message system where you get sent a regular email with the message. But you can't reply via your regular email method, you have to log into Facebook and reply.

From what I've seen of it, Twitter is way simpler than MySpace or Facebook. There are no photo albums. As near as I can tell all Twitter consists of is people writing short descriptions of what they are doing. Or thinking. Or thinking of doing.

Due to the name I'm suspicious that some cynical savvy guy came up with Twitter just to see how low the lowest common denominator really is. As in how many Twits are out there, hence the name. It sorta speaks volumes that the #1 Twitterer is Ashton Kutcher with a couple million people following his utterances.

By this morning I was stunned to see I already have 4 followers. All spam.

Here is what one of my Twitter followers spammed to me....

"@durangotexas and you have a cute asian follower. she wants to tell how you to make a lot of money. her last name is spammalot."

I already have a cute Asian follower, named Wee Cheng. I don't need anymore. I'm sure anyone reading this will want to be one of my legion of Twitter Followers, I think you can do that by going here.

1 comment:

twister said...

Who was that masked monkey?