Friday, July 10, 2009

Avoiding Hot Texas Sun By Walking Under Oak Trees At Village Creek

After a way too long flusterating morning I had to get out of here and away from anything with a non-human memory.

We are under a Level Orange Air Pollution Alert here, advised to avoid the air as much as you can.

I accept it as fact that there is some air pollution out there, but it has never remotely reached the level I've experienced in years past in the Los Angeles zone, where it'd cause my eyes to sting. The air pollution here does not cause a disturbing distant haze, like it can in the Puget Sound zone, when you look north towards Vancouver, or south towards Seattle.

With the health warnings in mind I decided to go to a shady spot and walk under the green protection of giant oak trees, so I went to Village Creek Natural Historical Area. I saw 3 other humans, all on bikes. No snakes, armadillos, panthers, tarantulas or alligators.

The only wildlife that I was aware of today, at Village Creek, I was unable to see, but I could hear them. Those noisy cicadas doing their mating chants.

One of the humans on a bike, it being one of those recumbent bikes, startled me bad, coming up behind me. I jumped, he said, sorry.

There was very little water running in Village Creek, a sad sign of the drought we are having here. The pond with the overlook deck, where water moccasins and turtles live peacefully together, is pretty much dried up. I've never seen it like this.

When I got back to my current location there was a message from Jammin Mole. She seems to think I need to get the exterminator back in here, if I'm getting cockroaches in my morning coffee. Cockroaches in my morning coffee are the least of my worries. That sort of stimulating moment is just a welcome diversion from a less stimulating reality.

Remember, tomorrow at 2 in the afternoon we go for the Skinny Dip World Record.

3 comments:

Cheap Tricks and Costly Truths said...

My, my darlin', I assumed your last comment was just a fluke, but now after this post, I'm thinking you do need a diversion and bit of stimulation. Lara and I might have to Mannap you in August while we're there at the 80's hair band reunion.

twister said...

Hot! I read in Oklahoma it reached 117. 101 is miserable, 117 is punishing. Also, dfw.com has a burger contest going on.

Durango said...

Yikes! 117? I've been hotter than that in Vegas and Death Valley, but that's dry desert heat. 117 in this zone would be MISERABLE!

CC2, I have never been Mannapped before. Sounds intriguing.

Yet one more burger contest? I saw this week the Star-Telegram is having a strange one, running it like a basketball tournament, with winners of each round moving up a level to compete with another winner.