Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ant Invasion, Stabbing, Body Part Lost To Garbage Disposal, Dizzy Hiking & Run-In With Texas Law

That's the Tandy Hills Natural Area view, sometime between noon and one. It was HOT. Right on the edge of too HOT.

But I was in serious need of a distraction and being on the edge of too HOT seemed like a good idea at the time.

My bad day started late last night. I was ready to call it a night, when I turned on the lights in the kitchen to see I'd been invaded by sugar ants. Those little ants are being very busy due to it being real HOT.

So, I had to initiate an ant holocaust, followed by getting rid of all the ant corpses. Very unpleasant.

The first hour this morning was without incident. Nothing more had happened in the kitchen overnight. My morning swim was pleasant.

I was running a bit late, I needed to make breakfast. Quickly. I turned on the garbage disposal to dispose of some garbage. That's what it's for. But something was in there that made a sound I did not like. So, I turned the disposal off and proceeded to reach inside. Before the blades stopped moving.

My right hand index finger, that being the one vulgar sorts use to make obscene gestures, got hit. Part of the fingernail got disposed of, along with the garbage.

A few minutes later I was trying to open a package with a sharp knife. Knives and me have long not gotten along well. This morning was no exception. The knife burst through the plastic and into the tip of my right hand pointing finger, that being the one that is used to point, not make obscene gestures. I did not lose too much blood before I got it under control.

So, by noon it was time to get out of here. The National Weather Service had not issued a Heat Advisory at the point in time when I got out of here. They have now.

I was enjoying the HEAT, for the most part. Big Ed was along on this hike. Just like he did the last time I mentioned him hiking, he wandered off and got lost again. He'd forgotten his cell phone and was getting panicky, but then found his way out. As for me, climbing the steepest climb in the Tandy Hills had me a bit dizzy by the time I reached the top. I suspect this was caused as much by this morning's blood loss and it was the HEAT.

Getting invaded by ants, chopped up by my garbage disposal, stabbed by a knife and dizzy on a hill is not the worst of my day. The worst is what happened next. I'll save that for the next blogging. I've had me a run-in with the law!

No comments: