Friday, April 3, 2009

Scarborough Faire Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie Texas

The Scarborough Faire Renaissance Festival starts up tomorrow (Saturday, April 4) and continues every Saturday and Sunday through Memorial Day.

What is Scarborough Faire, you may be wondering. Well, it's this village built on a Texas prairie, replicating as best one can in the 21st Century a 16th Century English village.

Scarborough Faire is very very well done. I liked it more than Six Flags. There is jousting and sword fights, wenches with excessive boobage, skinny men in tights, all sorts of shows, crafts, music, food. And beer.

I've only gone to Scarborough Faire once, several years ago. I webpaged my experience. When I did that, little did I know, that I had set off the most over the top reaction to anything I'd done on the Internet. The overreaction continued for several years. I got invited back for a guided tour, so as to educate me out of my Scarborough ignorance. I got invited to Scarborough parties. And I got invited to attend their training sessions. I got invited to the Houston area Renaissance Festival. And I got invited to a wedding.

I did not manage to go to any of the things I was invited to. Not due to not wanting to. It just didn't work out. I did meet a couple of the Scarborough Faire Renaissance Festival people in person. That was interesting.

I may go this year. I may not. If you have not been to this event and you live in the D/FW zone, it is worth the drive and the admission price. Trust me. It is just outside of southwest Waxahachie. Waxahachie is just a few miles south of Dallas. If you've not seen Waxahachie before, it is also worth a visit, with its incredibly ornate courthouse square and all the Victorian houses in town. Waxahachie has been used as a movie backdrop several times.

I've almost talked myself into going to Waxahachie and Scarborough Faire.

No comments: