Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday Mountain Biking At River Legacy With Trinity Rapids

It has been the best Spring Day of 2009, so far, today. It is a bit after 6 pm and it is 81 out there, according to WeatherBug.

I went swimming at 8 this morning and again when I got back from riding the mountain bike trails at River Legacy Park, again today.

The mountain bike trail at River Legacy is getting really popular. And with good reason. Overall it may now be the best in the D/FW Metroplex, when you factor in accessibility, fun, trail shape and the variety of humans you encounter.

Did I mention it is scenic? Huge oak trees with a lush undergrowth that is slowly making its annual turn into a jungle. Without lions, tigers and monkeys. But, there are snakes, boars and armadillos, none of which I saw today.

In the first picture we are looking down on part of the Trinity River Rapids at the west end of the park. The river narrows at this point, hence the rapids. They are not a Washington river cascading down the Cascades type rapids, they are more a genteel Texas style sliding down the prairie type rapids, but rapids nonetheless.

Can you spot me pedaling my way through the jungle? Two of the pictures of bike riders are me. The other is a group of three, a mom and her two kids. Mom was one wicked wild riding beast on her bike. I was impressed.

I saw a lot of signs of rutting today. I thought maybe it was the rutting of the River Legacy Boars, but due to its solo nature I suspect it was the rutting of the River Legacy Armadillos, none of whom have I seen in a long long time.

There were hundreds of picnickers at River Legacy today, the smell of barbecue made me hungry. One of the groups was a family reunion. There were signs directing incoming to the family reunion. It crossed my mind to join them. I have been to a large family reunion. It would be easy to crash a large family reunion. Just act sullen if anyone asks any questions. That worked at my family reunion. That family reunion was in July of 2002. My worst week in Washington til a month in 2008. Actually by comparison, July of 2002 was a fine time, a totally fine time, totally glad I went to the bother of flying 4,400 miles to attend, totally glad.

Tomorrow I may rollerblade from Buffalo Ridge Park in Haltom City and roll my way along the creek to an infamous backyard, where if a family reunion is occurring, I may try and crash the party...or not.

No comments: