Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Exile In Texas Comes To An End

I knew, or sort of knew, that this day would one day come. I said it wouldn't, but I sort of knew it would.

I've lost track, during the time of my exile in Texas, how many times, in response to the most mild verbalization of something that some super-sensitive, insecure Texan sort perceived to be some sort of criticism of Texas, that I have been advised to haul my Yankee self back north by whatever means and direction I arrived in the #1 state in the union.

Usually this sentiment regarding my departure is not expressed as politely as I worded it.

Well, the means of my arrival was a moving van, the direction was from the northwest via Amarillo and Highway 287. I have not decided for certain, but my exit will likely be via the same means and direction.

I will be heading to Seattle to a condo by Myrtle Edwards Park on Elliot Bay in downtown Seattle. That is the view in the picture. Unlike Fort Worth, Seattle already has a town lake in the form of Puget Sound and Lake Washington and Lake Union and other lakes. I'd be an old man if I waited here in Fort Worth for the Trinity River Vision to finally become clear and create a lake and some canals with condos, so I could move to a place facing water.

Reliable sources, more than one, have told me that Lord Voldemort, aka the Fremont Behemoth, is back safely behind bars, thus making a return to the Northwest seem safer and saner.

Adjusting to the weather will be difficult. Very difficult. Adjusting to being able to pick all the blackberries I want, for free, will be easy. As will having access to all the other berries and fruits and vegetables that grow in Washington. I believe that and fresh seafood are the number one things I miss.

I'll miss Texas, really, I will. There is an awful lot I like about Texas. An awful lot. I'll likely return to visit. Especially to see both the Dallas and Fort Worth Trinity River projects in their various iterations come, hopefully, to fruition.

In the meantime, I'm busy packing.....

7 comments:

TT said...

I am shocked. You're actually moving back! This should be fun.

Anonymous said...

April 1. right.

Anonymous said...

You are not allowed to go anywhere! Do you hear me?!

Who is going to report the truth?! Certainly not our media...

Anyway back to my original statement. You can stop unpacking now. Today's lesson - Life is too short not to live it as a Texan!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, Lord Voldemort is back on the streets. Does this change your decision to return?

twister said...

Is this a whale of tale...whale get it?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I love you or hate you. I will not deny being amuzed by your sometimes funny, sometimes sarcastic takes on Texas issues and overweight people. I call you my guilty pleasure. If you ever leave Texas you will regret it. I was not born or raised in Texas, just end up here via US Army. When I think about Texas I think about mild weather, warm and frienly people and the place where everything happens. I love Texas and everything about it.For every 10 Durangos leaving Texas there are a 100 waiting to have a shot at it. Take care whatever you do, wherever you end up.

Deby said...

Please, please, please don't go! Who will be go to for the fun and facts about Texas, the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones, Chesapeake Energy, fat woment at Wal-Mart, etc? Really, you can't leave us. It just wouldn't be right!!!