Monday, April 6, 2009

Is the Yellow Rose of Texas Blooming in the Tandy Hills?

After reading Don Young wax poetic about the Terrestrial Prairie Celestials, busy a-blooming all over the Tandy Hills, with an ethereal short-lived beauty, I decided I had to see these blooming purple things for myself.

So, with great effort, I hauled myself to the Tandy Hills today a bit before noon, as per Mr. Young's suggestion, that being that by noon the one day wonders begin their fade to death.

I hiked and hiked and hiked, up hills, down hills, across prairies, along creek beds, through forested zones, the west side, the east side, the north side, the south side. I looked and looked and looked and I saw not a one of the vaunted Prairie Celestials, not a one.

Near as I could tell I exhausted all possible places where this saffron-spewing flower might be blooming. To no avail. But I did see a new wildflower coloring up the Tandy Hills today, that being the yellow flower you see in the picture. The picture almost does justice to how bright the yellow of this flower is, as in they glow in the noon sun like neon yellow.

It is supposed to freeze tonight. I don't know if that fragile looking yellow flower is going to be able to survive a freeze. I guess we will soon find out.

No comments: