Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Annoying Microsoft XP Security Updates

Microsoft has managed to make their constant XP security updates even more annoying of late.

Previously I'd get a message that updates have been downloaded and are ready to install. This allowed me to make the update when it was convenient for me.

Once previously and now again this morning Microsoft decided it can take over my computer and install the update and restart my computer with no input from me.

Now, the majority of these security updates, when you are allowed to looked at their details, tell me that the updates fixes a new found problem that might allow someone to take control of my computer.

But the only thing that seems to be able to do that is Microsoft itself. Where is the protection from the Microsoft security breech that lets Microsoft restart my computer whenever it wants?

This morning it happened at 5am. I was still in bed and I heard the computer make its start up noise. I wondered, what fresh hell is this? When I woke up the computer, I quickly saw what the fresh hell was. My computer had been restarted. Everything I had open was gone. And a little icon on the taskbar told me updates had been installed. When I clicked the little icon so I could see what the updates were, the icon went away without opening.

So, apparently, Microsoft does not want me to know what it did to my computer this time.

Where is the security update to protect me from Microsoft? And don't tell me Linux. Or Apple.

I am not alone in my aggravation over this issue. The image above had the update message in what looked like German. So, Microsoft is creating an international nuisance. Under that image on the website I got it from was the following...

This must be one of the most annoying features in Windows.

Look the other way for a minute and find out that windows update rebooted your PC after installing security updates.

Oh? By the way, all the work you've done is gone.

How about giving users an hour to react, and not 30 seconds?

1 comment:

twister said...

I haven't used XP in awhile but you should be able to reset your update preferences again though the control panel.