Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Yankee Go Home You Carpet Bagger

It has amused me, almost since the first day of my exile in Texas, how some Texans stereotypically react to what they perceive as criticism of anything to do with Texas. In some Texan's mind, Texas is impervious to criticism, Texas is a work of Godly perfection upon which only a heathenistic Yankee would dare to cast aspersions.

So, last night I got an amusing comment, from a Texan, he being Sean Wilson of Huntsville, Texas. Huntsville is where we execute people in Texas, with one due to get the lethal needle tonight, increasing Texas' lead in this year's National Execution Derby.

Now, in a very ironic twist, Sean's comment was to a posting that I did not write. It was forwarded to me by a lifelong Texan! Who is trying to clean up some dirty Texas dealings by forming an accountability organization to try and bring local, state and federal reforms to protect water and landowner rights, primarily regarding natural gas drilling in the Barnett Shale.

I'll copy Sean's comment below. See how many spelling errors you can find. I found 3....

Hey man ease up a little. Oil and natural gas is the backbone of this great land. You are a little fresh off the boat in this state to start raising cane about how we do things down here in Texas. Oil is what we do and we are the damn best at it and we will continue to do it untill its gone. If you don't like it then head on back north. We won't miss you or the other carpet baggers...seriously im not jokeing.

Sean Wilson
Huntsville, Texas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, but just because it will amuse you...i counted four misspellings, of which two had missing apostrophes. There was also a grammar mistake - a misuse of is instead of are.

Are we in agreement? Because i won't be able to enjoy my day until i know.

Durango said...

Shirley---

We are in agreement. You have a better eye for detail than I. It took me way too long to find #4. I did not see "its". Usually those type errors bounce off the page at me, especially when I make that type mistake.

I must tell you, my mom's name is Shirley. I always agree with anything a Shirley tells me.