Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Super Bowl 43

It was this morning in the Dallas Morning News that I learned that the Pittsburgh Steelers won Super Bowl XLIII. That is also when I learned I missed watching all of what is being called one of the Top 5 all time Super Bowl games.

I made it through the first quarter and well into the second, when boredom started to set in and I retreated to my computer.

The commercials were not living up to Super Bowl hype this year. Reading online and in the paper this morning I see I'm not the only one who was non-plussed. Apparently the second half had better commercials.

A few of the ads seemed borderline, well, wrong to me. Like a Bud Light ad that had some corporate workers brainstorming as to how to cut costs. All over the office there were bottles of beer. How many offices have you seen where beer is consumed during work? So, a young guy suggests they save money by cutting out the beer. The next thing you see is him being thrown out the window. The technical term for this is defenestration. Basically its murder. There were several things wrong with that commercial.

More than one ad had someone getting run over by a bus. Another had a guy able to magically remove a woman's clothes. You had to go to a website to see how that turned out. I didn't go there. The Clydesdale beer ads were okay.

I think maybe Super Bowl commercials have jumped the proverbial shark. I see TV Guide has taken over the Jump the Shark website. It's not the same.

Before the game, Jennifer Hudson sang the Star Spangled Banner. I believe it was the best national anthem singing I've ever heard. The Bruce Springsteen halftime show was about the best I remember, too.

And, apparently, if I'd made it to the 4th quarter, the football game ended up being as good as Jennifer and Bruce were. I just did not have the stamina to watch that much football.

No comments: