Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The View From Miss Puerto Rico's Balcony and My Mom & Dad

This has been one cold day in Texas. I feel like I'm up in Tacoma in summer. It's only 42 at 4:30pm. Blue sky returned today. That was nice. Even if it was a cold blue sky. That photo on the left is the view from Miss Puerto Rico's balcony yesterday around noon.

The other photo is the same view from Miss Puerto Rico's balcony today around noon. I don't know which photo looks chillier.

My Mom and Dad are heading to Texas on January 2. I was informed of this by my Mom on Sunday. She called with a convoluted plot for me to fly to Phoenix to spend Christmas and then ride back here with them. There are too many things wrong with that concept to detail here.

My Mom also told me not to plan anything that involved walking. That is not a lot different from when they were here 7 years ago. I remember dropping them off at Dealey Plaza while I found a parking place. The only place I remember fast walking was when I took them to one of the World's Most Unique McDonald's.

They were here 8 days their last visit. I don't know how long they plan to stay this time. I've no idea what to do with them. Maybe ride the train to Dallas and then ride the DART train. That would take up one day. Gaylord Texan and the Southlake Town Center has been built since their last visit. That might take up one day.

Maybe there'll be a Grand Opening where my Mom can shove her way to get free samples. The last time they were here they saw on the local news that Central Market was having its Grand Opening the next day. So, we went to that.

They'll likely want to do the Stockyards again. They enjoyed the Stockyards. Everyone enjoys the Stockyards. The only thing that's changed at the Stockyards, as far as I can remember, is the addition of The Love Shack. Maybe I'll take them there. The Dirty Love Burger won some sort of best burger in the world or nation type award. Mom and Dad like burgers. Mom used to work at one of my brother-in-law's McDonald's. She was known as McDonald's best biscuit baker.

I could try and think of a list of chores for Mom and Dad to do. But I don't have any chores that need doing. When my Mom and Dad and I were at my baby sister's in Tacoma, last summer, you would not believe the list of chores we all had to do. We were told we had to perform these tasks to pay for our room and board. I think a motel would have been a more restful option.

I don't know why Mom and Dad want to come here in the dead of winter. The last time it was October and a bit HOT at times. This time we could easily have an Ice Storm. Or worse.

When we were all in Tacoma, with us Sun Belters well adjusted to our Sun Belt Heat, Mom and Dad were the only people in Tacoma who could empathize with how miserably cold it was. The others were quite insensitive about our misery. But, then again, I have to say, after my little sister tired of watching me shiver, she bought me a real nice coat. I wore it today. Today was the first day it's gotten Tacoma Cold in Texas.

Well, whatever happens, it'll be interesting. I'll be documenting Mom and Dad's likely last visit to Texas via photos, video and this Blog. What fun I'll have...

2 comments:

Lauri Evans said...

Well, they COULD come for Christmas! Speaking of...please have yourself a Merry Little Christmas! Perhaps in the spring we'll meet at Warrenton!
Take care and gas is $1.49 gallon--yee ha
oxoxox lulu

Durango said...

Yes. They could come for Christmas. But it'll be warmer for them in Phoenix. You kids have yourself a Merry Little Christmas, too. I wanna go to Round Top and Port Aransas in the spring. Usually I get what I want. Usually. Gas is $1.42 here. We're all getting it cheap now. Why? I do not know.