Friday, December 19, 2008

Fort Worth Pools Closed Under Warm Blue Sky

We are seeing our first blue sky in days, here in Fort Worth. That's the view from Miss Puerto Rico's balcony at about an hour before noon.

It is almost 70 out there. That's good swimming temperatures. But I am unable to swim. Like I told you yesterday, the city of Fort Worth has shut down the pools in town.

Fort Worth has been overreacting to pool issues, mostly drain and pump issues, ever since Fort Worth was successfully sued for a large amount of money, due to 4 out of towners, attending one of the rare conventions to take place at Fort Worth's Convention Center, drowned in an overfilled whirlpool at the Water Gardens that are adjacent to the Convention Center.

Due to that tragedy my pool was drained and new pump safety devices and drain covers were installed. At great expense. The new thing that the city is insisting on has to be installed by a licensed technician. So it may take awhile to get one here due to all the pools in town needing whatever this fix is.

Meanwhile, in the big city to the east, that being Dallas, none of these supposed safety improvements have been mandated. I suspect incompetent boobery is what is at play regarding the pools here in Fort Worth.

I guess the good news for me today is my bad case of SAD (Seasonally Affected Disorder) is temporarily abated by the return of blue sky and warm temperatures.

If I was still living in my old hometown of Mount Vernon, Washington, I would be snowbound today. They are having heavy snow and record breaking temperatures up there, with the ski areas finally able to open. But with severe avalanche danger. Avalanche danger is a danger we don't have here in Texas. My baby sister is stuck in Tacoma, snow and ice bound, unable to get to Olympia.

The lowlands of the Puget Sound zone can go years in a row with no snow. Where I lived we didn't get snow as often as further south, as in Seattle, or further north, due to being in a valley that was protected by mountains that caused what is called a convergence zone to occur south and north of us. But there was a snowstorm in the 1990s that was record breaking. I was snowbound for about a week. I cross country skied to the grocery store.

Click here and scroll down the page to see snow photos of my old abode in Washington.

No comments: