Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Stutters and Stammers Too Much

Okay, I'll admit I have a personal problem with not liking it when someone stutters and stammers and says 'um' a lot. I always think, why don't you get your thoughts in order before you put your mouth in motion. It really is probably one of my pet peeves.

So, I turned on the TV while I ate lunch. All the cable news stations were covering Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson's news conference live.

I have seldom, if ever, witnessed a public figure, in a position of such responsibility, stutter and stammer as much as this guy. It did not inspire confidence. Quite the opposite. Where did George W. find this one? Same place he got that Brownie guy that George thought did such a good job during the Katrina debacle?

I am aware it shows extreme shallowness on my part, but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of letting someone who stutters and stammers oversee the spending of $700 billion with a who knows if it's a good idea plan to save the world from total economic meltdown.

We live in scary times. Meanwhile I got gas today for under 3 bucks a gallon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paulson must be one hell of a sharp speaker to have made it through the corporate boardrooms to be where he is now. On the other hand his appalling appearance today shows what he is under immense stress these days. Which again may hint that there is not much more the officials can do.

Sioen said...

He's a stutterer.* So what? Should we bar people with speech impediments from being government officials?

I take issue with his policies and his coziness with Wall Street.

But his stuttering impediment? (The disorder is obvious if you watch where in sentences it happens.) I could care less.


*Note Paulson is cited on The Stuttering Foundation's Web site.

Lauri Evans said...

Really? Is he up for auditions for Shakespeare? I'd much rather have his mind clear & focused. Have you seen the idiots in the House who questioned him? They don't have a clue, for the most part...AND My dentist stutters. You've annoyed me this morning. We DO NOT have gas under $3/gallon. We just got gas 'back in the pumps' last week in the 7-county Metro Atlanta area. There are bigger issues looming out there. Maybe you just don't understand the complexities of this rescue and would rather harp on bullsh(%. sorry D.
xo lulu

Durango said...

Howdy Lulu,

Yes. I readily admit I don't understand this whole rescue thing. For me it would help inspire confidence if the one explaining was able to articulate well. Being able to communicate well seems like an essential for such a job.

And, Sioen, no people with speech impediments should not be barred from jobs. But if part of the job description is to be able to communicate well, then I think maybe that person should be given a job where that is not required. I also don't think a blind person should be an airplane pilot, that doesn't mean I don't think a seeing challenged person should not be able to get a job.

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog after searching for "Paulson stutter" in google. As a stutterer I was inspired yesterday when I noticed for the first time that Paulson was a stutterer. I am a successful businessman who is known as much for intellect as likability but I still have to overcome a communication disability. While it at times hampers my own upward mobility career-wise I am inspired by the way it has NOT hampered Paulson's. Like his economic plans or not (which I don't) it is encouraging to know that even stutterers can help make this country a better place.

Anonymous said...

Well said Paul. It is unfortunate that so many people have difficulty seeing beyond a disability, and are quick to point it out if they disagree with the person. Shame on them. If Paulson is a stutterer, he like you, has overcome a tremendous obstacle to success. I don't care for his policies either, but my hat is off to both of you.

Edward Neufville said...

I am a stutterer and a trial lawyer. My clients come to me not because I am smooth talker but because I get the job done despite my stuttering. I may not agree with his policies but I sure do admire his intellect. Cheers.