Saturday, October 11, 2008

Texas Miscellaneous & The 3 Day Walk

It's not even 3 in the afternoon and I'm exhausted. I feel like I'm going in two directions at once.

Yesterday I was talked into doing this, well, let's call it a charity type thing. This involved getting up real early. About 2 hours into being charitable I found I was not feeling all that charitable.

So. I left.

Because of the early morning charitable departure I missed my regular barely post-dawn swim in icy water. I decided to go on a mid-morning icy swim. That went well and the combo adrenalin/endorphin injection put me in a better frame of mind. But I did not like it that the air was so much warmer than the water. I prefer the reverse.

I got back in here and decided to work on webpages. Though I wasn't in the mood. Yesterday I'd added pages to my Eyes on Texas website. Two of those were faking like I'd eaten at restaurants in San Antonio and Austin. Well, I have eaten at one restaurant in each of those towns, but not the dozens that the webpages I made yesterday imply. Now the one I'd made earlier about the D/FW Metroplex zone, those I'd been to.

I tried to move on to Houston and El Paso, but didn't.

Instead I decided it was time for yoga, which I skipped yesterday, which caused an aching back by mid-afternoon, due to too many hours of sitting at the same place I'm at right now.

After yoga I went to Village Creek to go on a walk. There I met a large group of women looking suspicious. You don't usually see large groups of either men or women at this park. So I asked what are you girls standing around looking so suspicious for?

They told me they were doing a practice 18 mile walk for the upcoming 3 Day Susan G. Komen Walk For The Cure event coming up in Dallas. I asked if they were all cancer survivors. Several either raised their hands or nodded yes. I told them I was too. Then they asked how many years. When I told them they got all happy and congratulatory. As if I had anything to do with it.

Last year the Metroplex's turn at the 3 Day Walk was centered at River Legacy Park. It was quite an impressive spectacle. I've never seen so many matching tents. Cancer survivors share some sort of bond, I suppose like war veterans do. (go to the River Legacy link and you'll see photos from the 3 Day)

When I left Village Creek Park I went to Wal-Mart. It's right on the way back here. I had no disturbing incidents at Wal-Mart, no crazy ladies yelling at me or ripped flags. The self-checkout's debit card reader wasn't working so I had to use cash. I'm glad I had some.

I was barely back here when Miss Puerto Rico called me, in full Latino Mad Mode. She'd been fighting with her boss, fighting with a co-worker and all upset due to some notice being missing. I could make little sense of it, but told her I'd come over with ice later to cool her down.

So, that's my day so far. Maybe I'll be feeling more charitable in the morning. And I do have Columbus Day to look forward to. Columbus Day is just about my favorite day of the year....

1 comment:

Lauri Evans said...

That 3-day walk used to be called 'AVON' 3-Day. I did the walk in 2000 here in Atlanta. Not only do those lady 'train' but they have to raise at least $1800 to participate, sleep in uncomfortable conditions and have one of the BEST experiences in their life. You should see the number of walkers who put on their pink 'survivor' shirt on the last day of the walk...too many to have had to go through it, but not nearly as many as those who didn't make it. On the 2nd day a lot of the walkers wore their 'memorials' literally on their backs. I have never cried for so many strangers in my life. I'm so proud to have been able to be a part of something so powerful.
YOU GO GIRLS! ox lulu