Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Texas Home Invasion Saves Energy

I've had me 2 days in a row of my peace being disturbed by home invasions. It has not been quite as bad as being at my little sister's in Tacoma when roofers ripped off her roof and put a new one on to the loud disapproval of a pair of highly vigilant poodles.

Yesterday I had those AT & T people in here doing all sorts of things. While that was going on there were people in the attic making a racket doing stuff with seals and insulation.

This morning the doors got attacked from the outside with this thick insulation that makes it hard to shut and lock the door. By noon the interior of this place was invaded by a crew of 4 or 5. I came back here, at that time, to find all the lights on, a guy standing in my tub, another on a ladder in the kitchen, all vents and plug covers off and another guy stuck halfway inside the vent hole under the furnace/AC unit.

I had to get out of here, so I went over to Miss Puerto Rico's and used her computer and sat on her balcony watching humanity pass below me. And then a downpour started up that lasted over an hour. I was trapped. When the rain finally let up I ran back here to find 3 people still in here. But they were soon gone.

I thought it was over. But then about 3pm there was a loud knocking on the door. I opened it to find 2 guys with all sorts of paraphernalia. A huge fun, several meters, ladders and, most disturbing, a giant bright orange plastic thing with a hole in it. You can see the two tester guys and their giant bright orange plastic thing in the photo, as well as some of their paraphernalia.

They were in here to seal off the place and then test it for leaks to make sure the previous crew got everything airtight and energy efficient. So, the tester guys sealed up all the vents and then put the big orange plastic thing with a hole in it covering the door.

When they got everything sealed up then the fun started. The first test created a vacuum as this big fan thing sucked the air out of here and out the hole in the big orange plastic thing. That test passed.

Then it was reversed and the big fan thing pressurized the air in here. It passed that test too. The tester guy told me if I opened the sliding patio door there'd be a big whoosh. So I opened it and there was a big whoosh.

As far as I know this was the last of the home invasions. I hope.

This home invasion, energy saving improvement was brought courtesy TXU/Oncor. I'm sure I'll be very grateful when I find it easier to stay warm this winter.

2 comments:

Lauri Evans said...

What in the HELL are you having done that requires so much CIA-esque suberterfuge, Worker-Vernes, and ceiling issues? You must be doing something....
AND WHO IS MISS PUERTO RICO??? I believe Lauri & I have all ready questioned you about her. You, of course, give the 'politician's answer" with a question of your own. Fess up Big BoY
xo lulu

Durango said...

Well. It's complicated. Apparently I have security issues. As for Miss Puerto Rico, she is an additional security issue. With no obvious solution.