Thursday, October 9, 2008

Swimming in the Cold in Texas on October 9

The overnight low was 53. The temperature at midnight was 66. When I went swimming this morning the air temperature was 58.

I'm guessing you can intuit from this that the water was cold. And yet I continue to be amazed that once I get past the jolting first minute it then feels good. For about 20 minutes.

I think the initial shock of cold causes an adrenalin rush that makes it work. Maybe followed by some sort of endorphin inflow like what happens after you do something aerobic for an hour. Only this cold water thing speeds it up.

All I know for sure is this is the latest in the year I've continued swimming. It makes me feel real good. And I"m gonna keep doing it. Til I freeze.

When I told my wimpy sister in Phoenix that I was still swimming she told me she'd bailed on her pool when it got too cold when the nighttime lows got into the 70s and the daytime highs got in the low 90s. I told her to give her icy water a try, that she might like it. I doubt she will give it a try though. Because she has access to my mom and dad's heated pool.

2 comments:

pooltech said...

Don't forget to bookmark the worlds first online community for pool owners http://community.poolcenter.com/ It has blogs, repair help , message boards, pool wiki of definitions, product reviews, repair videos, Safety info and pool groups. Your one stop place for pool help . Dive into the community pool today!!!!

Lauri Evans said...

Do you ever experience "shrinkage"? Too personal I acknowledge, but inquiring minds...
xo lulu, who is no longer annoyed and always loves u know matter what