Saturday, October 4, 2008

Still Swimming in October

It's October 4. The overnight low was only 68, the high yesterday in the 90s. Right now, at 10 am, it is about 75. And I'm still swimming early in the morning.

Yes, as you can see in the photo, I wear a stocking cap in the pool. I don't get my head wet. It feels warmer that way. Downside is when I get out and take a shower the cold tap water feels warm, til it hits my face, then it's a major BRRRRR.

Previous years I've bailed on the swimming by now. But several weeks ago I found that if I make it past the initial half minute of the bracing cold the cold sensation goes away.

After 15 to 20 minutes, though, I think the cold penetrates deeper and I start to get this slight shivering sensation. That's when it's time to get out. This morning the air temp and the water temp seemed about equal. I like it when the air temp is less than the pool temp. That makes the water feel warmer.

Katharine Hepburn, til she got old, would go swimming year around in the Atlantic whenever she was staying at her house in Connecticut, which was most of the time.

I don't remember if I've said this before, but it's my intention to emulate the late Ms. Hepburn and swim in my little version of the Atlantic all winter long.

We'll see how long that resolution lasts.

No comments: